A thermal label printer is a device that is used for printing addresses and markers on self-adhesive cards. Labels printers are quite different from ordinary printers mainly owing to the fact that these need to have an entirely different mechanism to handle the rolled stock and the tear sheet stock. Some label printers even come with a built-in automatic cutter so that you do not have to go through the extra hassle. This feature is extremely helpful, especially when used for commercial purposes. In this guide, you will find the best shipping label printer for your business needs.
There are basically two types of label printers – the one with a display and an integrated keyboard system for typing in the tags and the ones that need to be connected to a computer for the controls. As for the connectivity in the latter type, the most commonly used ones are RS-232, USB, Ethernet, parallel and the different wireless connections. The label printers that come with inbuilt keyboard and display are meant for standalone use and are also known as label makers.
Buyer’s Guide for Thermal Label Printers
Label makers have a variety of uses in homes, offices and industries alike. At homes, they are mainly used for printing shelf markers, file folder markers, bottle markers and printing the stamps and postal addresses. Many printers also have an integrated memory which can be used for storing the contacts and the addresses.
If the models are more advanced, you will also the option of categorizing these contacts into different groups such as friends, family, office and so on. For commercial uses, the label printers are used for printing bar codes, retail marketing price, shipping tags, warehouse labels, packaging labels, bulk management labels, for supply chain management and even for marking blood and laboratory specimens.
Things to consider before Buying a Shipping Label Printer
The volume of your printing work is one of the most important things that you ought to ask yourself before purchasing a label printer. Depending on the requirements, there are distinctive sizes and types of printers in the market. To guarantee that all of your needs are met, make sure you do a thorough research of your requirements like how often you will be needing it, etc.
A person with a huge print volume just once per year is best suited to own the one that can deal with around 100 duplicates every day. If someone is in a small scale business, he would require one with a low order of about 500 labels for each day. Knowing your needs will enable you to pick the best label printer suited for your use.
Utilization of your prints.
You will need different types of tags and labels depending upon your clients’ needs or else your needs. When efficiently utilized, label printers can be used track items, patients, in the military or schools, among numerous others. Realizing what the labels will be utilized for will enable you to pick the best label printer to create the best labels.
Your required print resolution
This is another essential thing that you ought to put into thought when obtaining a standardized tag printer. To think of an unmistakable scanner tag, you will require a high-resolution printer. One that can make no less than 203 dots for each inch will ideally give you clear outcomes. On the off chance that you need a printout with high density, at that point you should seriously think about a printer that makes more dots per inch for best outcomes.
You can only be sure that you have got hold of the best label printer when you are fully aware of the support that is offered for your machine. Make it a point to check the warranty and the responsiveness of the customer support. Printers are an investment. So find out how long they are meant to last and whether or not you can have them repaired after the warranty period. Many printers start working slow after a couple of uses. If you are going to be using it frequently, this could be a major disappointment.
Last but not the least, it is important to understand the performance of your machine. This would include checking out the features integrated into the machine and how compatible are they with your requirements. Get hold of the best label printer that will increase your productivity and not pose a hindrance.
Top 5 Best Shipping Label Printer Products
1. DYMO LabelWriter 4XL Thermal Label Printer
- The Dymo shipping label printer can be used to print labels directly from MS word, excel, card scan and outlook
- It can be used for printing anything from folder markers to badges
- The printer offers a resolution of 300 dpi, which is actually great for printing even the complex graphics
- This thermal label printer is very compact and can be installed in homes and offices alike
- Can print wide labels of the size 4.16”
- It has the capacity to print upto 53 standard lines, 4 line addresses and 129 high capacity 4 line address labels in under one minute
- Does not use ink or toners
- The customer support offered by the company is excellent
- The printer not only has an easy installation but is also quite easy to operate
- The controls are very simple
- The manufacturers have given a good warranty period on this product
- Repairing after the warranty period may or may not be possible
- It is not suited to all different types of rolls
Features – 4/5
Value for price – 5/5
Ease of use – 5/5
2. ROLLO High Speed Shipping Label Printer
- This Rollo shipping label printer is based on advanced technology and prints in very high definition. This makes it appropriate for printing small fonts as well as complex graphics.
- This is a thermal label printer, meaning that it does not use ink or toner but rather prints directly on thermal label sheets to produce the effect of printing. This reduces the need to replace cartridges every once in a and also make bulk printing easier
- It prints at a very fast rate. Can easily print up to 238 labels in one minute. This makes the machines very much functional in production houses.
- The machine comes in a sturdy design and has its own case so that it can easily be carried from point A to point B
- The machine has received more positive reviews than negative reviews
- The installation process is very easy and does not take a lot of time
- In case of any difficulties during the installation and operation, you can refer the instruction manual which is very easy to follow. The instruction manual arrives via an email when you avail the product.
- Company provides excellent tech support
- This printer is not compatible with stamps.com, due to which you will have to resort to an alternative option like Shipstation, which in fact, is not as efficient as stamps.com and also a lot more complicated
- There are other printers in the range that give a better print quality
Features – 4/5
Value for price – 4/5
Ease of use – 3/5
3. Dymo 450 Twin Turbo Desktop Mailing Solution Label Printer
- These printers have a very good working speed. They can print up to 71 labels in one minute. At this pace, it can be almost 40 % more productive as compared to other printers.
- This printer can be customized to different settings so as to cover a number of uses. They can also be synchronized to the Dymo Stamps software and digital scale so that you can weigh and label your packages all at once.
- By connecting the USB port to the compact scale, you can have the printer connected directly to the compact scale. This would be a big advantage, especially if you are running small businesses. This would allow you to easily manage your packaging and posting
- The Dymo updates its software every once in a while. This will make sure that you stay updated.
- Very easy to install as well as operate. The machine comes with a clear set of instructions for installation and operation. You can also visit the online forums for more guidance.
- For connecting to tech support, you can place a direct phone call without any previous mail exchanges.
- The helpline is functional 24 by 7. So you work according to your convenience.
- Outdated design
- Not a very advanced software. Also, it runs pretty slow.
- No auto spool in the printer
Features – 4/5
Value for price – 4/5
Ease of use – 4/5
4. Brother QL-720NW Professional Thermal Label Printer
- Features serial and Ethernet connectivity
- It has a flexible connectivity, that is, for both the Ethernet and the wireless
- This printer offers a serial interface, through which, it is possible to print labels as well as download more templates onto the printer, which could later be printed onto banners
- This thermal label printer can also be used with a scanner
- It can print at a pace of 93 labels/minute
- This shipping label printer is applicable not only for printing labels abut also a number of other things such as packages, envelopes, banners and more. Further, it is exceptional for commercial printing
- Very good resolution of 300 by 600 dpi. With this, you can print almost anything from barcodes to complex graphics with much ease.
- You could also use an app to synchronize the printer with your phone so that you could stream and directly print from your phone.
- This printer allows you to change the labels and the templates in no time. It also offers a number of features that the users can use for customizing their own labels
- It is able to print at a very fast pace
- The shipping label printer can be used for printing labels and tags of all different shapes and layouts
- Although it comes with a battery charger, there are no AC adapters and detachable power cords
- The thermal label printer does not have a carry case, may not be suited for carrying around
Features – 3/5
Value for price – 3/5
Ease of use – 4/5
5. Brother Network Ready 4″ Wide Thermal Label Printer
- It has an application programming interface which allows the users to customize their labels before printing. This feature could be used to pass text, barcodes, graphics, and templates across various networks.
- The machine is very user-friendly. The set up too is quite easy and does not take much time.
- Very powerful performance; runs on the p-touch v5 software
- Easily customizable options, even available for beginners
- Compatible with Windows and Macintosh
- It measures 6.7 by 5.8 by 8.7 inches and has a total weight of 8 pounds
- Comes with a warranty period of 2 years and exchange service.
- Can print at super fast speeds
- Applicable for all different label shapes and sizes
- Many interesting features like labeling filing cabinet, labeling tool drawers, etc.
- No roll holder. You will be required to get a seperate roll holder
- The cutting blades get frequently jammed due to the gum from the label
- Cleaning it is a difficult process
Features – 4/5
Value for price – 4/5
Ease of use – 3/5
The Best Shipping Label Printer for Business – Dymo 4XL Thermal Label Writer
Of the list of the 5 top products, the Dymo 4XL Thermal Label Writer is our recommendation to our readers. It works at a great speed and covers a number of different uses. The shipping label printer is ideal for homes, offices and commercial uses. It can print at a very fast pace too, i.e. 3.1 seconds per label which can be greatly convenient if you are regularly printing in bulk amounts. On an average, this will come up to 50 labels per minute. Furthermore, The Dymo Label Writer can be used with labels of varying sizes. The largest size the Dymo 4XL can go up to 4.165 by 6.275 which is mainly used for shipping. You can also time the label; printer for e.g. at the rate of 63 labels/ minute so that you manage your working accordingly.
Another great thing about the Dymo 4 XL is that the label printer can be used with software that allows you to print labels directly from MS word and also edit the label design and layouts. There are a number of templates available due to which customization should not be a problem.