Without label makers, you would have a really hard time shipping orders and packages, even if you had a very small business. You’d have to do everything by hand, and that would be time-consuming and counter-productive. But don’t worry, The Zebra ZP 450 is here to turn your worst nightmares around.
Label printers come in various shapes and sizes. Some of them work with ink, while others work with toner. Both of them are relatively expensive.
So, what can you do about that? For starters, you can take a look at the Zebra ZP 450, a label printer like none other. This shipping label printer comes with a few tricks, so we took our time in reviewing it. Read on to see what we discovered!
An Introduction to the Zebra ZP 450
A thermal shipping label printer is, without a doubt, the most cost-efficient type of printer nowadays. The Zebra ZP 450 doesn’t use toner or laser. It prints the labels by using heat.
It already gives you a sense of how much money you can save. You only need a roll of labels and you’re good to go. These rolls, by the way, won’t even affect your budget. They’re extremely affordable.
You might be tempted to think that because it’s a thermal printer, it’s awfully complicated and you’ll need some kind of training to use it. That’s not true. It works pretty much the same way as laser or toner printers do.
The Advantages of the Zebra ZP 450
- Obviously, its greatest advantage is that it’s thermal. This will certainly make a difference in your wallet.
- Another pro is the speed at which it prints labels. The manufacturer specifies that it can print 5” per second and we’re glad to say that’s not smoke and mirrors. Labels are printed faster than you can say “label”.
- The price, too, returns some great quality. The Zebra ZP 450 comes at just a little over $200. If you think that’s pricey, think of how much you’d spend on toner. If you have a big company that ships orders left and right all week long, you can spend more than $200 a week on toner.
- The setup is fairly easy to do if you’re in the least familiar with USB thermal printers. You just have to insert the USB and follow the instructions that will pop up when you hit “Install Drivers”.
- It’s really simple, so you won’t need to spend huge amounts of money on maintenance if it starts to malfunction. As mentioned previously, it’s really no different from any other printer you’ve ever worked with.
- The drivers can be found online. There are some printers for which it’s almost impossible to find online In that case, you’ll have to order a CD straight from the manufacturer, which can be costly.
Pro tip: you can actually get the drivers from UPS’s support site.
- It doesn’t jam as frequently as older printers. It prints the labels too quickly to jam, to begin with. This means you’ll get the job done a lot faster than you would with any other type of printer, be it with ink or laser.
All things considered, the Zebra ZP 450 is a shipping label printer you can count on. Actually, we can vouch it’s a purchase you won’t ever regret. With all these, just like any other device, the ZP 450 has its fair share of shortcomings.
The Disadvantages of the Zebra ZP 450
- The biggest con of this otherwise phenomenal thermal printer is the fact that it was designed specifically for use with UPS’s WorldShip labels. If you’re not familiar with what this is, let us explain:
WorldShip is a type of software that allows you to create labels for your company. It provides a template and all you have to do is write the information about your firm in the required fields.
You can also import addresses and other information about the people to which you need to send the packages. While this is great, we think many people will find this feature to be a deal-breaker.
There are reports that it can be used with other programs, but the setup is a lot more difficult to pull off. Perhaps somebody with more expertise in your field could help you out if you have any difficulties in this respect.
- Another con is that some people found the setup to be quite difficult when they need to search for the drivers online; this applies especially to older people who really have nothing to do with the online world.
The General Opinion
Customers praise this printer but also hint towards the minor inconveniences we’ve talked about in the previous section. Apart from those, there are no other complaints.
People love the fact that it’s inexpensive and saves them a lot of money in the long run. In addition to these, some are absolutely ecstatic knowing they can order rolls of labels from their UPS accounts for free.
This reduces the cost of owning the Zebra ZP 450 to – that’s right – 0… All in all, this thermal printer is definitely a good purchase, no matter how big or small your business is.
There are a thousand brands of printers out there and others keep on appearing on a regular basis. However, it’s less likely you afford to change them every few months.
You want a trustworthy printer that will last you and will get its job done. If you choose to get the Zebra ZP 450, you can rest assured you’ve made a good decision. Label making won’t be a problem for you anymore.
We’ve decided to rate this printer so highly, simply because it deserves it. It’s incredibly fast, it doesn’t jam and most importantly, it doesn’t require any ink or laser, which is by far its greatest perk. It brings a lot of competition to the market leader, DYMO 4XL.
This is highly recommended to anyone who needs a new shipping label printer, particularly if that person requires a lot of labels as quickly as possible. We hope you’ve enjoyed this review and you’ve seen that this is totally worth the investment.